Traditional braces may take a bit of getting used to, but they are a reliable and proven means of correcting even the most difficult malocclusion, or “bad bite.” If you brush after every meal, floss carefully and follow your orthodontist’s instructions, you’ll have a radiant, healthy, well-aligned smile before you know it.
However, one scenario which requires attention is when a braces wire breaks or comes loose from the bracket, and pokes the inside of your mouth or cheek. This situation can be uncomfortable, although, a loose or broken wire is actually not difficult to fix.
Call Fredericksburg Orthodontics
If you notice that a wire is poking your mouth or your child’s mouth, please give us a call, and we can often advise you on what to do over the telephone. If you require an appointment, we will schedule it and get that wire fixed.
The “fix” is simple: if the wire is broken, we will remove it and replace it with a new wire. If the wire has simply come loose from a bracket, we can just put it back into its proper place.
If you have a wire that is bothering you on the weekend or after hours, some things you can try immediately and safely are:
- Use the clean eraser end of a pencil to gently tuck the poking wire into a more comfortable position.
- You may safely snip the offending wire, yourself, with small wire clippers or nail clippers.
- Mold some orthodontic wax into the shape that will cover the protruding wire and protect your mouth. It’s not a long-term solution, but this special wax can help prevent injuries and irritation to your cheek, tongue or gums. The weight of the wax can press the wire gently back into place as a temporary stopgap; so it’s smart to have extra wax with you at home, school or work.
- Try a topical pain-reliever approved for oral use, such as Anbesol, to reduce discomfort.
- Rinse your mouth with half a teaspoon of salt mixed with 8 ounces of warm water to keep the area clean and relieve any soreness.
A poking wire is a simple, easy fix.
Please contact us at (540) 898-7211for any questions or concerns, or visit our website: www.fredbraces.com to request a complimentary orthodontic consultation and explore what Fredericksburg Orthodontics can do to speed your journey to a healthy, gorgeous smile.